Please test new cups packages

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Sat Apr 15 23:35:16 BST 2006

> The package has been tested by three people so far without any major
> difficulties. However, before we put them into dapper, I'd appreciate
> some more testing and feedback.

Well, here are the issues I saw, which are, admittedly, not likely to be
seen by typical users.  I have an ubuntu-server box that handles
printing for my network.

First up, using the web interface for administrative tasks fails.  It
just tries to load and hangs; message in error_log is something like
"Generating server key pair" or something like that.  Looks like cupsd
is trying to use openssl to generate its own private key and
certificate, but something goes amiss.  I generated the crt/key
manually, and all worked fine.  Took me a few minutes though, as it
seems I only use openssl once every couple of months at the most, and
always forget the right way to do that stuff.

The other problem I had was due to my usb host driver not being loaded
at boot time.  This seems to only happen when using kernel 2.6.12 under
Dapper; using 2.6.15 caused the module to be loaded properly, but I had
custom-compiled madwifi for 2.6.12, and haven't gotten around to it for
2.6.15 yet, so I'm locked in at the moment.  This is obviously not CUPS
related; who should I notify, if anyone?  Or is it just not supported
(2.6.12 under dapper)?  BTW I also had to manually mknod /dev/usblp0, as
this module didn't want to use /dev/usb/lp0 for some reason.

And this, perhaps because I didn't purge my old config (and was hoping
not to):

------- (error_log)
File device URIs have been disabled! To enable, see the FileDevice
directive in "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf".
-------

I noticed default log level is warning, but used to be info... Info
seems preferable to me?

All of this interlaced with problems printing from Mac OSX, under which
certain applications (apparently) encode their postscript with some PICT
something-or-other (that I'm not that familiar with).  Again, not the
cups package, but it certainly added some confusion.

Out of curiousity, I wonder if we could avoid cluttering the new CUPS
web interface with "please use the gnome tool".  Can't it be assumed
that anyone who finds himself at http://localhost:631 probably knows
what he is doing?

[Sorry for the length of this message]

-Forest