SMFication Project registered + proposal

Erast Benson erast at gnusolaris.org
Fri Apr 14 21:12:22 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 05:58 -0400, Ivan Krstic wrote:
> Sebastien Estienne wrote:
> > I also think SMF is really great, but last time i spoke about it (and
> > apple's launchd) to fedora guys, they told me the licence of these 2
> > projects make them incompatible with fedora.
> >
> > So, what about ubuntu?
>
> I believe the CDDL/GPL license incompatibility doesn't permit a direct
> port; a clean-room reimplementation would have to be done (for some
> value of clean-room, obviously). I have no legal background, however, so
> someone more informed should pitch in.

GPLv3 might be the key here. But BSD project could be even more
interesting since the resulted work potentially could be included in
FreeBSD too.

It seems like having CDDL code in BSD project is totally OK. The only
restriction is in CDDL and it is similar to GPL but per-file basis, i.e.
any modifications to CDDL-licensed files needs to be contributed back to
OpenSolaris.

I suggest to initiate this porting project under BSD license and later,
once project gets popular, we could try to dual-license it with GPLv3.

--
Erast