SMFication Project registered + proposal

Erast Benson erast at gnusolaris.org
Fri Apr 14 09:51:39 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 10:32 +0200, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Erast Benson napisał(a):
> > Hi,
> >
> > Trying to utilize Launchpad for NexentaOS development and possible
> > further cooperation. I registered a new project:
> >
> > SMFication Project: http://launchpad.net/projects/smf-nexenta
> >
> > In NexentaOS we are using SMF to manage system services. (see an
> > overview below). As of now, there are a lot of Ubuntu packages which are
> > based on old silly SYSV init scripts.
>
> Is SMF LSB-compatible?

In NexentaOS we are using original LSB scripts to manage "legacy"
services. SMF taking care of proper execution(level wise) according to
SYSV specification. Works pretty well actually and assures that any
LSB-compatible service script will work on SMF-powered OS.

At the same time, user gets a lot of goodies which comes with SMF if
service provides SMF manifest file.

We did SMFication for GDM, for instance, so you might want to take a
look what would it take to add SMF manifest to existing service-type
package.

--
Erast