GTK Icon Cache and dh_iconcache usage

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 5 14:51:29 BST 2006

Hi Sebastian and Daniel,

Am Mittwoch 05 April 2006 14:26 schrieb Sebastian Dröge:
> Am Mittwoch, den 05.04.2006, 09:57 +0200 schrieb Daniel Holbach:
> > Hello Stefan,
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, den 05.04.2006, 00:20 +0200 schrieb Stefan Potyra:
> > > I don't exactly think so, because imo every package that has an icon
> > > should also provide a desktop file (with that icon). Nonetheless for
> > > the current situation it still seems feasable to have a separate
> > > dh_desktop and dh_iconcache script.
> >
> > I think the very special use case of "additionally installing an icon
> > into /usr/share/icons/<some-icon-theme>" warrants a separate maintenance
> > script.

Yes/No. The use case of "installing an icon which the application uses as
icon" should imo be covered by dh_desktop. However packages like themes might
still make use of dh_iconcache.

> > However, I'm willing to hear more input and suggestions for this.
>
> There also exist .desktop files that do not have an icon and where a
> icon wouldn't make any sense (the autostart .desktop files for example).

These wouldn't result in a call to gtk-update-icon-cache unless the package
also ships icons.

And there would also be the cornercase, that a package ships the icon in
a -data package, whereas the .desktop file is in the package itself (at least
I've seen such a package shipping its icon in a -data package once).

Anyway, like written before, I don't have a strong feeling about the existance
of dh_iconcache or not.

Real point here is to modify dh_desktop to _also_ provide the
gtk-update-icon-cache call[*]. The benefit would be, that we can just rebuild
(some/many?) packages in question.
If they lack a desktop-file (and thus dh_desktop-call), it would be worth
adding one. The difference now between adding a desktop file and adding the
dh_iconcache call is that we can give back changes with the .desktop file
directly to BTS, whereas this would not be possible with dh_iconcache.

[*]: like proposed in the debdiff I sent last night, to make the call only
once if both dh_desktop and dh_iconcache are present.

Cheers,
	Stefan.