Etch migration

Olafur Arason olafra at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 06:50:05 BST 2006

Put the following into  /etc/apt/preferences:
Package: *
Pin: release a=dapper
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release a=etch
Pin-Priority: 300

Then do what you did again. Then go to synaptic or aptitude and find
which packages are local, if they are many then write them down or
uninstall them if you don't need them, then remove etch from the sources.list
then find if there are any local now, if they are then preferably
uninstall then,
and try to find replacements in ubuntu. Be carefull to include universe and
multiverse with main in ubuntu. This should get you out of most of the problems
I hope, I haven't updated from debian since warty.

Olafur Arason