FeatureSpecification: apt-third-party

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 3 20:33:16 BST 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 08:03:10PM -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/apt-third-party
>
> I have drafted a specification for ThirdPartyApt support. Trying to
> generate conversation and interest, and perhaps some contributors.

This sounds somewhat different from the existing third-party-packages spec,
so it probably deserves a more distinct name.

> Third parties should be able to distribute programs for installation on
> Ubuntu or other Apt based distros (especially Ubuntu). They should be
> provided tools to make installation, integration and maintenance of
> their programs easy. We have existing infrastructure to provide to them,
> but need to do so in a consistent way while providing an easy to use
> interface.

My preferred design for this type of feature is the sort which directs users
from websites to existing packaged software in official, authenticated
Ubuntu repositories, rather than encouraging retrieval of software directly
from the third party.  This is how third-party-packages works.

--
 - mdz