DependencyInit

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 30 19:45:01 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 19:20 +0200, Stephan Wienczny wrote:

> what is the current state of this new init-System? Who is working on it?

I'm planning a set of different specs for UBZ; my general feel is to
have a reworked event-based system based on sysvinit for dapper (which
we need to be long-term supportable) with something like launchd in
universe which can be dropped in for those that like it -- then dapper+1
will get it as the default.

Rather than just plain "set of scripts with dependencies" I'm very much
looking at a completely event-driven system ... rather than having a
script that checks filesystems and another that mounts them, you'd just
have a udev rule that checks and mounts things in fstab when there's a
block event and kicks launchd to say "/usr is available, can you start
anything else?"

This sounds initially scary, but it actually becomes a whole lot more
bullet-proof as it means the same things work on boot as when you plug
in a removable disk; you could even have a daemon that started when your
iPod was plugged in for example.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant