Bootloader

Kevin Cole kjcole at gri.gallaudet.edu
Fri Sep 30 09:36:51 CDT 2005

Phillip Susi wrote:
> I still don't know what's so great about grub.  I noticed it was the
> default in ubuntu so I spent probably 10 mins trying to figure out how
> to use it when I was installing my system, gave up, and just used lilo
> instead.
>
> What are the technical reasons that grub is better than lilo?

Not a highly technical description, but...

One nice thing is not needing to remember to run "lilo" every time
you edit the config.  Also, although it's been quite a while since
I used lilo, I don't remember the boot options being quite so
featureful.  While still in GRUB's boot menu, you can do quite a bit
of tinkering before actually booting.

--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7
 Gallaudet University          |     WWW: http://gri.gallaudet.edu/~kjcole/

 "Using vi is not a sin. It's a penance." -- St. IGNUcious, Church of Emacs