Printing in Firefox - please test firefox 1.0.7-0ubuntu18

Ian Jackson iwj at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 29 13:40:32 CDT 2005

I have made some changes to printing in the latest firefox upload for
Breezy, and there is a nonzero risk that this will have some adverse
effect.  I would like to know soon whether to back them out.

So, I would like you to make a fresh default profile and check that
printing still works with your printer.  (In order to get all of the
changes, you have to start with a fresh profile to pick up a changed
default print command.)

In particular, things to watch out for:

 * Is the output quality any better or worse than it was before ?
   I'm not expecting any change with non-PostScript-cabable
   printers, and I hope that PostScript-cabable printers will not see
   a significant change.

 * Has the printing speed (job processing time, or time to transfer
   the data to the printer) become slower to an unacceptable extent ?
   This is also unlikely unless you have a PostScript-cabable printer.

 * If you previously got that strange page saying your printer was too
   old a PostScript version and please would you do some complicated
   rune with gs: does now it work properly instead ?  (Bugzilla 10293.)

 * If you have several printers, does the printer selection and so
   forth work properly ?

 * If you are using printers _not_ configured via CUPS (ie, they're
   configured in a way that causes them not to show up in System /
   Administration / Printing), do they still work in Firefox (if
   indeed they ever did) ?

Note again that you must use a fresh profile to pick up the new
default printing command, or your test will not pick up all of the
changes.  If you don't want to mess about with profiles, an
alternative is to manually set the print command in File / Print ... /
(Your printer) / Properties ... / Print Command:, to
   lpr -o PreFilter=Level1 ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+"-P$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}
(cut and paste it to be sure the punctuation is right).

If you do a test please email me at the address above, even if
everything was working before and nothing has changed.

If the situation has got worse in some way please provide as much
information as possible including the URL(s) of the test page(s) and
the exact model of your printer and how you configured it.

Thanks,
Ian.