DLoop comments

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Thu Sep 29 12:48:36 CDT 2005

That's exactly what I mean when I say that only the binaries should be
stripped.  The preinst and postinst scripts would still remain in the
.deb and when you install it to a new location, the scripts would be run
exactly like installing the package normally, the only thing that would
change is that instead of extracting the binaries from the .deb, they
would be pulled from their already installed locations.

That way you save the space, but still get the scripts to run.  I can
think of at least one case where this would be usefull compared to just
doing a copy from the cd filesystem.  When you install a kernel package,
the install scripts run lilo to configure the system to boot the new
kernel.  If you just copy the files from the cd, then you will have to
make a new script for the install that copies the files, then configures
lilo to make the hard drive bootable.

As the number of cases like this grows, so does the complexity of the
install-by-copy script, which makes it harder to maintain.  I suppose
though, that if the number of special cases remains small, then it isn't
a big deal.