DLoop comments

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Sep 28 17:10:27 CDT 2005

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 05:24:37PM -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:
>

> No, the .deb actually contains these files.  It has a tarball inside.

Yes, and the tarball contains the path names of the files.  When
extracting the tarball, you could remove the binaries and replace them
with a list of the names of the files that were removed.  Given that
list finding the installed copies of the files is trivial.

> They can remove packages later.

Yes, but it wastes time installing them in the first place.

> They can install them later (this is already how the existing installer
> works).

Yes, but why install old packages first only to have to turn right
around and install their updates?  It's another waste of time.

>>3) Some differences in configuration may be needed when installed to a
>>hard drive than when installed on the livecd
>

> That's OK.

How so?  The configuration used on the livecd might fail when you try to
boot from the hard disk.  The configuration of a freshly installed
package might need to be modified to work on the cd, but when you
install to the hard drive, you want the freshly installed configuration.

I guess you could make a script to revert such configurations when doing
the copy, but it seems like that would be harder to maintain than simply
installing the packages like normal, and letting them configure
themselves when unpacked, the way the installer does now.