Colony 5 installer -- /var fills up

Michael Moore stuporglue at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 20:31:18 CDT 2005

I'm installing Colony 5 on a Del Inspiron 2650. I've installed Colony
4 on it about 20 times with no trouble whatsoever. Colony 5 is acting
up though.

I choose the option "Erase entire disk: IDE1 master (hda) - 20.0 GB...."

The partitioner then shows me only two partitions, like this:

#1 primary    19.2 GB Boot-sign skull-sign  ext3   /
#5 logical    764.9 MB                happy-face swap  swap

Installation continues as normal untill /var fills up. The exact messge is:
---
[!!] Copy remaining packages to hard disk
      Copying packages fialed
Copying packages to the hard disk failed. You might have run out of
disk space in the target /var filesystem.

Check /var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details.
-----

Console 4's last message is:

"error: 'cp -a "/cdrom/pool/main/l/language-pack-ja-base/janguage-pack-ja-base_20050907_all.deb"
"/target/var/cache/archive-copier/ship/language-pack-ja-base_20050907_all.deb"
failed with code 1"

At this point the fdisk -l shows three partitions on /dev/hda. hda1,
hda2, and hda5. hda1 and 5 are as described in the installer, hda2
says it's type is "Extended", which I'm assuming is there so hda5 can
exist.

df shows /dev/hda1 with 4% usage.

The md5sum of the CD is what it should be.

I tried manually partitioning, and ended up with the same thing as
above, except that instead of #5, it showed #2, and primary. I get the
same results with /var filling up.

I couldn't find any bugs -- should I file one?

--
Michael Moore