metapackages

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Mon Sep 26 15:29:29 CDT 2005

On di, 2005-09-27 at 06:14 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:

> *Users* would profit - much easier to find a package called
> multimedia-foo than something like gstreamer0.8-plugins etc . The
> description in synaptic should make it clear what the installation
> will achieve - for example "This package enables the playing of mp3 in
> totem or rhythmbox and adds support for foo, bar and flurble" and so
> on.
>
> Just a contribution from a fairly non-technical user, who sees the
> problems Dennis/Seveas sees.

Exactly my point, even though multimedia things from mutliverse cannot
be installed by default, we should make it *easy*.

Same for getting involved with ubuntu, which is where ubuntu-devel comes
in. A not-so-experienced programmer or even a seasoned one getting
started on ubuntu-specifics needs to be given an easy route.

Why not create an ubuntu-arcade-games package too, for people who like
this. There are some gnome- and kde- metapackages and given the right
packages this can absolutely make a difference in experience.

As a coincidence, the Ubuntu desktop team was launched today, I think
this team (of which I will be part) should suggest the contents of such
packages.

This idea is not to make life easier for developers, but for *users*.
Even metapackges containing just a few ill-named packages can help
making life easier.
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org