Gnome upgrades, user gconf

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Sun Sep 25 11:59:40 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 19:05 +0000, Lorenzo E. Danielsson wrote:
> I really want to avoid removing .gnome2, .gconf and friends. During my
> Gentoo days I remember the standing response to upgrade problems was
> that you should remove all the gnome related directories. But that would
> mean you have to reconfigure quite a bit each time you upgrade..

I agree that's a bad option.  When the developers are at work making
changes that affect gconf schemas etc. they should be taking careful
notes of what effects that will have, as they work, so they don't forget
anything.

Q: Does gconf support schema upgrading / downgrading?

Q: Could that be done with XSLT, the way that 'fwbuilder' does it?
Perhaps it would require more than simple XSLT, eg. removal of obsolete
keys, moving keys from one part of the tree to a more shared location,
etc.

There really ought to be a GUI tool for the System Administrator that
can do stuff with a user's gconf settings.  Perhaps it should be
script-able, with a plug-in GUI?

Another problem I've seen often (but not recently, now that I think of
it) is a bad ".gnome2/session" file.  I'd log in and nothing would
happen until I 'Ctrl-Alt-Backspace', 'Ctrl-Alt-F1', log in,
'rm .gnome2/session', log out, 'Alt-F7', log into Gnome again.  I should
never have had to do that.  When the session file is bad it should be
ignored or removed.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>