Gnome-panel, Nautilus and Memory

Lorenzo E. Danielsson lordan at backa97.org
Sat Sep 24 12:53:51 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 17:55 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le samedi 24 septembre 2005 à 13:45 +0000, Lorenzo E. Danielsson a
> écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > First of all sorry for posting a bug report to the mailing list, but
> > please bear with me on this.
>
> Glad to see you're aware it's not the most appropriate place ;-)
>
> > I have a problem with several apps eating all my core and swap, most
> > notably gnome-panel and nautilus. I have to kill -HUP them once in a
> > while or I start to get "...couldn't allocate memory" error dialogs.
> > Evolution and Epiphany also seem to be very memory hungry. This behavior
> > began just about when Gnome 2.12 was released. I didn't have any
> > problems during the 2.11 cycle. Also, logging out and back in again
> > seems to help, at least to some extent.
>
> I never heard of this.

Most people haven't. If it had been heard of, it would have been
discussed and possibly solved already. My system has gone through
constant upgrades from Warty and all the way up to Breezy. I never had
this problem until a week or two ago..

> > Could somebody let me know what I should file bug reports against.
> > Gnome-panel? Nautilus? Or something underlying the two of them?
>
> It's hard to tell, but you can at least open a bug against one of them.
> Try gnome-panel ;-)

Yes, gnome-panel would probably be the best since it appears to be the
most memory hungry. But my guess is that there is something underlying
gnome-panel, nautilus, evolution and epiphany that is causing them all
to leak.

> You might want to specify how much memory you have, the programs that
> are usually running when this happens and how many memory they're using
> in the bug.
>
> > Bugzilla is probably really useful if you're on 1 Gb/s lines,
> > but here in Ghana it takes forever to load a single page.
>
> That's indeed a problem. It's probably because of the number of
> components in Ubuntu's bugzilla...
>
> > Isn't there any alternative way to report bugs?
>
> The reportbug utility probably work to report bug for Ubuntu since it
> seems to support Ubuntu's bug tracking system (it's even set as the
> default one).

I don't know what you mean by reportbug, but if you mean bug-buddy, I
don't have it. Instead the "Bug Report Tool" menu item opens
bugzilla.ubuntu.com in $DEFAULT_BROWSER..

--
Homepage/Weblog: http://backa97.org
Jabber: lordan at jabber.earth.li