Colony CD 5
cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 23 19:01:43 CDT 2005
Colony CD 5 is ready. This is the fifth in a series of milestone CD
images that will be released throughout the Breezy development cycle, as
images that are known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD-build or
installer bugs, while representing very current snapshots of Breezy. You
can download it here:
See http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Archive for access instructions.
This will probably be the last Colony CD release before the final Breezy
release, so any testing you can provide is appreciated. If you test it,
be sure to send us a report to ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com.
Significant installer changes since the Breezy preview release include:
* Fix a cdebconf bug that made translations of the timezone and apt
configuration dialogs disappear, and restore translations of a few
post-reboot messages as well.
* Avoid installing usplash on server installations.
* Disable automatic LVM partitioning support on powerpc (since it
doesn't have LVM support in the installer yet).
* Add commented-out backports lines to default sources.list (#15066).
* Warn if no swap space is configured (#11327).
* Silence some scary though harmless error messages in the live CD as
it pivots into the live filesystem.
* Fix bidirectional text support in the installer (for Arabic, etc.).
* Fix PCMCIA support on old laptops with ISA bridges (#8575) and on
some Sony Vaio models (#8677).
* Fix a partitioner crash when trying to auto-resize NTFS (#15513).
* Make the country question appear again if you go back and change
your answer to the language question (#14670).
* Stop various installer implementation details from showing up as
available tasks in package managers on the installed system.
* Restore Mac OS X detection on powerpc, following a kernel fix
Of course there have also been a battery of other changes in the
installed system, generally with the goal of increasing stability as we
Some notable known bugs, which we hope to iron out before release:
* The sk98lin driver is missing; network cards with Yukon chipsets
will not be detected.
* powerpc installations with an XFS root filesystem fail to boot
* The amd64 and i386 live CDs are a little oversized, and require
700MB media as opposed to our normal 650MB requirements.
If you're interested in following changes as we further develop Breezy,
have a look at the breezy-changes list:
Bug reports should go here:
Colin Watson [cjwatson at ubuntu.com]
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 253 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/attachments/20050924/734d9650/attachment-0001.pgp
More information about the ubuntu-devel