Smarter Screen saver

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Fri Sep 23 16:03:33 CDT 2005

Alvin Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 12:01 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
>>X11 is a network protocol.  The screen saver may be running on a
>>different machine from the movie player.  And yes, I have actually used
>>this in real life (to get video on my laptop and audio on the speakers
>>connected to a desktop).
>

> is DBUS an X11 protocol? that's what we're talking about here.

No. I don't know much about dbus, but can you use it to prevent a
screensaver running on a different machine but displaying on the current
machine from starting? Can it be used to prevent the screensaver from
starting when the first virtual desktop is shown, but not when the
second is shown? It also looks like an event notification, rather that a
state recording mechanism. I don't think it is appropriate for this.

--
Tristan Wibberley

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily coincide with those
of my employer, etc.