teTeX 3?

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Fri Sep 23 04:53:40 CDT 2005

Martin Pitt schrieb am 23.09.2005 11:22:

> Hi Christoph!

Hi Martin!

> Christoph Bier [2005-09-23 10:01 +0200]:
>
>>I already asked in March 2005 for teTeX-3.0 in Hoary. But Hoary was
>>already frozen. Now Breezy is frozen and teTeX-3.0 won't find it's
>>way to Breezy anymore. What does it mean? Is there no interest in
>>TeX users?
>
> There is certainly some interest. I'm a heavy LaTeX user myself, and I
> often see LaTeX-related questions on #ubuntu. The reason is probably
> just that this update request was not made at an appropriate time (in
> the early Breezy development time), so nobody remembered to do it.

Ok.

> Also, the current packages work well, I never had any problems with
> them, so I never bothered to look for improvements.

For example I need the microtypographic extensions of pdfTeX
(character protrusion and font expansion) and the bug fixes.
Primitives for grid typesetting were introduced with pdfTeX-1.30.3.
And this is a very important typographic extension! But there are
also lots of packages with rapid development (e.g. pstricks) that I
use. Apart from my work as a nutrition scientist I use TeX for
professional typesetting.

> So we should switch to the new version in the early Dapper times. Just
> ping us again in case we should forget. :-)

Nice, thanks!

Best regards,
	Christoph
--