initscripts and how many patches to carry

Sami Dalouche skoobi at free.fr
Thu Sep 22 19:15:05 CDT 2005

Hi,

concerning initscripts.
It has been recently discussed on debian mailing list whether to accept a patch
that allows parallel launch of init scripts with the same runlevel.

Of course, as usual, debian won't accept this patch officially before 2 or 3
years because it is not Debian-policy correct or some obscure reasons.

However, would Ubuntu be willing to accept such a patch ? I mean, current
startup time is pretty slow, and this could potentially help on powerful
machines.

BTW, is there any plan on having ifup of network interfaces NOT blocking
startup, but just do as, let's say windows, let do the dhcp in the background ?

Regards,
Sami Dalouche