Firefox defaults

Danilo Šegan danilo at kvota.net
Thu Sep 22 11:50:59 CDT 2005

On Tuesday at 13:44, Alexandre Strube wrote:

> Em Ter, 2005-09-20 às 06:42 -0400, Las Vegas Neighborhood Forums
> escreveu:
>> I would suggest that FreeSans and FreeMono are better, more readable, fonts than
>> the current defaults, especially for smaller font renderings - see my sample URL above.
>
> It seems a little bit late for this to make into breezy. They're already
> at freeze stage.

Not to mention that FreeSans and FreeMono are really NOT, and I
repeat, NOT the best free fonts for being used as defaults (I have
contributed a bit to them, so I don't really have a problem with them
or Primoz Peterlin, FreeFont project maintainer).

They are one of the most complete sets of fonts, though.

There are several Bitstream Vera derivatives which are close to
supporting most of WGL4 (Latin, Cyrillic, Greek among other things),
and the two I am best familiar with are DejaVu (we are even getting
hints in DejaVu since recently!) and Arev.

Outside of WGL4, there is not much sense in sticking everything into a
single font, except for maybe "text colour" match (i.e. grayness of
the whole page of text).

Cheers,
Danilo