Epiphany / Firefox

Edward H. Trager ehtrager at umich.edu
Tue Sep 20 14:56:34 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 2005.09.20 21:48:44 +0300, Sandis Neilands wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After reading gnome-bittorent-too-simple thread I have a question about
> browsers - why not to include Epiphany as a default gnome web browser? It is
> better integrated in gnome, it's simplier, it doesn't use THAT much
> reousrces as firefox does. Don't know about security though.

And does it really work as well as Firefox or not?  Has Epiphany really been tested
in the way the Firefox has?  Not only with regard to security, but also with regard
to rendering non-Latin web pages, handling Javascript correctly, handling CSS-1 and
CSS-2 correctly, DOM handling, etc.?  The last time I tested Epiphany (admittedly this was quite a
while ago), it performed fairly poorly on some of my tests (which were mostly in the
CSS and DOM realm at that time).

While Firefox still has a fair share of problems with it (hence the need, for example,
for Ubuntu to patch it to handle Indic rendering properly, something that the Firefox
people really need to settle once and for all in their own code base), does it not seem
wiser to stick with the more actively developed and presumably more actively tested
browser?

Actually, I personally have to wonder why Epiphany even exists at all?  The Gnome people
should just scrap it and work with the Firefox people as closely as possible to insure that
Firefox is both (i) a good desktop-agnostic browser and (ii) tightly integrated with Gnome when
used in the Gnome desktop.

-- Ed Trager