gnome-keyring-manager missing from ubuntu-desktop depends?

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Mon Sep 19 14:03:52 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 16:10 -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:
> I wonder if 'gnome-keyring-manager' ought to be part of the
> 'ubuntu-desktop' dependencies?

It sure crashes a lot.  I wish that somebody who knows how to do it
would write up a nice Wiki page about how to set up a debugging
environment for this kind of work.  I have only a vague idea of how to
begin.

How do I get all of the debugging symbols loaded for everything
connected with some arbitrary Gnome application (evolution, perhaps)?
And then, how do I set it up for source-level debugging?  It would be
best if that could be done in-situ, rather than requiring it be done
from a source build.

IIRC, GDB can be given the location of a debugging symbols file.  I've
also seen something on the net wrt that, where there are RPM packages
containing debugging symbols that match stripped .so libraries and
programs.  Is that true, or was I mistaken?  How hard would it be to
create a dh_... script to create those?

If this is done, there must be a standard package naming convention.
What would be the name suffix for this?  -dbg is taken...  -symb ?

The idea is that there ought to be a way for an ordinary user to get a
usable stack trace from a crashed application, via bug-buddy, and for a
more knowledgeable user to quickly set up for source-level debugging of
the crashed application.  Doesn't GDB have a way for you to tell it
where to find the source?

 Application crashes
 Bug-buddy starts
 It checks for symbols, or GDB just does that...
 It gets a stack trace
 Optionally, it:
   gets or finds the source
   configures it <--- implies standard debian/rules configure
   finds the real source <--- implies debian/rules findsource
   tells gdb where to find that
   starts a debugging editor session... emacs?  Now what?

Maybe the source debugging is overkill and out of scope for bug buddy.
In either case, a standard debian/rules target for configure and for
findsource (print path to configured source) would facilitate creation
of a gdb wrapper that starts a debugging shell, right?

You tell me and we'll both know.  Looking forward to reading your wiki
page on the subject and anything linked to from it.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>