VoIP client

Udo Puetz robos at muon.de
Sun Sep 18 18:14:43 CDT 2005

On Sun, 18.09.05, Stephan Hermann <sh at sourcecode.de> wrote:
> Hi Udo,

Hi Stephan and List

[...]

> > > Let's see how it works..nevertheless, I don't think encryption is a
> > > standard now for SIP.
> >
> > I looked a little into SIP the last few days and yes, encrytion isn't
> > standard in SIP. But the way minisip does it is in my eyes rather logical,
> > it's not some mumbo jumbo with proprietary stuff but uses standard libs and,
> > since the authors of minisip have developed the encrytion part as part of
> > their master thesis, I tend to think it's well researched and thought
> > through. And minisip also works without the encrytion stuff so it's a bonus,
> > not a hindrance. I for one are in favor of encryption :) and it might also
> > be a selling point (over e.g. skype): "look, with minisip you are using the
> > standard and can communicate to all the other sip users and your talk is
> > secured from eavesdropping!"
>
> Right, but it makes no sense to have one client with, even with
> opensource libs, encryption, when it's not in the standards. You can't
> encrypt voip streams between lets say kphone and minisip or between
> minisip and other hardware phones.

Well, we are talking about integrating a sip client into ubuntu
specifically for dotUbuntu (as described here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ShtoomVoip) and so, when we are in "dotUbuntu space"
we simply assume that everyone uses minisip and hence can use encryption.
To be honest I haven't looked too much at minisip either but I thought that
with dotUbuntu in mind a little added security, if it comes with no hassle,
is a big plus for everyone. And we might do it like M$ normally does it:
produce something, propagate it and - tada - a standard is born.

> And actually, we're waiting as well for Phils solution ;)
>
> Have a nice, sunny, Sunday :)

I had, thanks :)
Udo

> \sh

Robos -
gpg --recv-keys --keyserver blackhole.pca.dfn.de 6EEADA09