Ldap and Ubuntu server a no go - serious problems here.

George Farris farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Fri Sep 16 16:24:03 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 23:15 +0200, Ivan Krstic wrote:
> George Farris wrote:
> > Well I think it is database corruption but I just haven't found why???
>
> I suppose you could try the SQL backend for OpenLDAP, and see if that
> solves your problems? At least it would make any possible database
> corruption pretty transparent.
>
> -IK

BTW this was one of the earlier responses:

Yes, this sounds like libnss-ldap being crappy.  It happens whenever
libnss cannot contact the ldap server.  I would suggest not using
libnss-ldap on your ldap servers.  It would seem to me that there may be
a race in there somewhere or a dead lock.  Remove libnss-ldap from the
ldap servers and I think your problems should be resolved.

This should have nothing to do with the backend of choice.  Its all
about slapd using some libc function that somehow accesses nss, which
then must poll ldap, but the ldap server is waiting on its original
request to be fulfilled, which causes the lock.  I'm not positive that
this is what is happening, but it seems logical.  Possibly you could use
nscd to reduce the frequency of the locks, but I would think it would
just delay the inevitable.

I'll run with ldbm over the weekend and if things lock again I'll remove
libnss-ldap as suggested, not a good solution in my mind.  Would this
account for CTRL-ALT-DEL not being able to shut the system down I
wonder.  In fact I don't think I can even run shutdown even if I am
previously logged in.

George Farris   farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Malaspina University-College