gnome-bittorrent is an unsatisfactory bittorrent client

Sam Morris sam at robots.org.uk
Thu Sep 15 12:53:05 CDT 2005

Zach wrote:
> [gnome-bittorrent] takes, IIRC, the exact same command line options as
> the basic bittorrent commandline client, which let you limit things
> like max upload, max download, min port, max port, etc.  You have to
> edit the various places where it is launched from in order set the
> command line options.  One of those is the menu item in gnome, and
> another is the mime association, firefox, I believe.  Also you could
> create a shell script or alias that passes those options to
> gnome-bittorrent.

dpkg-divert can help with this. dpkg-divert allows you to tell dpkg that
you want a certain file moved out of the way. dpkg will remember this if
you later upgrade/remove/install the package:

  dpkg-divert --add --local /usr/bin/gnome-bittorrent

Create a file /usr/bin/gnome-bittorrent:

  #!/bin/bash
  exec /usr/bin/gnome-bittorrent.distrib --max_upload_rate 12 "$@"

Make the file executable:

  chmod a+x /usr/bin/gnome-bittorrent

Now you have a custom gnome-bittorrent that limits its uploads to
12k/sec. Other arguments can be added, to taste. :)

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078