Refining The Default Fonts for Ubuntu

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 15 12:46:34 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 01:16:10PM -0400, Edward H. Trager wrote:
> 1. CONSOLE MODE INSTALLER ARABIC OPTION NOT USABLE
>
> The text-mode installer has an option for "Arabic" but the Arabic
> letters are rendered on the console in left-to-right, unjoined manner.
>  In other words, it is totally wrong and unusable, since as we all
> know Arabic is a right-to-left cursive joined script.  Maybe it looks OK in
> the GUI installer (which did not work on my machine, so I was presented
> the text installer), but clearly it is useless for the text installer.

(We have a GUI installer? Nobody told me. :-))

Anyway, this seems to have been a mistake in the newt package, which has
bidirectional text support, but that support was accidentally disabled
due to a missing build-dependency. I've merged a new version of newt
from Debian, which fixes that missing build-dependency as well as
improving Arabic support and adding Persian support.

Would you mind reviewing one of our daily CD builds in a few days' time,
when this fix trickles down to them?

Cheers,