low breezy hard disk performances

HC Brugmans hcbrugmans at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 05:57:29 CDT 2005

The Saltydog wrote:
> I have installed Breezy from scratch (saving and restoring /home),
> instead of upgrade, and the disk performances are very poor. I confirm
> that in single-user mode, the disk speed is fast, but from GUI
> everything is slowed down.

This is my Breezy performance on a high-end SATA desktop, from gnome,
while running rhythmbox/xchat/firefox/gaim/thunderbird.

hidde at system:~$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   2392 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1195.58 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate
ioctl for device
 Timing buffered disk reads:  184 MB in  3.01 seconds =  61.18 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate
ioctl for device

performance seems to be around 1150-1250 for cached reads, and 55-65 for
buffered disk reads.

I can re-run this from init 1 in a bit, but this seems to suggest there
is no problem with SATA.

Is there a bug open on this?