Firefox and Mozilla Update

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 14 11:25:27 CDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 12:47:21PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>  * As a technical question, should Firefox extensions and themes be
>    installable by Ubuntu users from Ubuntu universe, or from Mozilla
>    Update ?  Should Ubuntu users be offered these Mozilla addons via
>    the Firefox UI ?
>
>    If you answer `both' to the previous question, note that this will
>    not provide a very good user experience.  It is probably
>    impractical for us to attempt to allow the user to manage both sets
>    of extensions through both interfaces, so instead you'll find that
>    there are two interfaces for extensions some of which are used for
>    some and some for others.  And if we accept that then we still have
>    to stop the Ubuntu and Firefox packaging systems fighting each
>    other.

Is there any way to make plugins installed by Mozilla Update go to
/usr/local? Packaged extensions could (and, I think, generally do) have
the update mechanism disabled as mentioned in #4395 - perhaps with a
note in the UI saying "this extension was installed using your system's
package manager" or similar - and the rest could be updated in
/usr/local without interfering with those shipped as .debs.