Breezy installer resolution

Carey O'Shea carey at internode.on.net
Tue Sep 13 07:52:51 CDT 2005

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 07:54:40PM -0400, Alvin Thompson wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 15:01 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>

>>>The installer, as you may have noticed, doesn't display any pretty pictures.
>>>It uses the graphics mode to display non-Latin characters, so that it can
>>>interact with the user in their native language.
>>>

>>oh, good point. would it be possible to only enable the graphics mode if
>>the user selects a language that requires it? i imagine the initial
>>language selection screen always starts in english, anyway.
>>

>No, the first screen displays the names of all of the languages, written in
>the named language, on a menu.
>

>>that way the maximum number of people possible can have a smooth
>>installation. the only group you would have to worry about are non-english
>>speakers who have one of those pesky (but fairly common) laptops.
>>

>We need to deal with these problems anyway, and hiding the problem for
>English speakers makes it harder to identify hardware components which have
>this problem.

This problem with usplash is annoying also, a user can't use usplash
without their screen being distorted. It's either usplash with screen
distortion, or no usplash at all (with having to have the vga= option).

Windows, Fedora, SUSE, Linspire, etc, don't have this problem of vga=
with console text and splash screens on these laptops, so there must be
a way around it that also works for those Intel chipsets.