Restricted software in Ubuntu, continued

Buffalo Soldier dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Sun Sep 11 09:40:43 CDT 2005

thully at umich.edu Wrote:
> People don't want to, for example, ditch their iPods or MP3-CD players
> (I've never seen an OGG-CD player).I believe there are three types of people who are using Ubuntu:
-  people who only want free (zero cost) software and don't care
  about freedom

-  people who only want free (free as in freedom) software and don't
  care about the cost

-  people who want both (zero cost and "freedom") software

I believe Type 2 and Type 3 wouldn't mind making some sacrifices to
enjoy Ubuntu that is both free in terms of cost and freedom.

And I don't believe the developers are targeting the Type 1 users. I
certainly won't miss these Type 1 users.

thully at umich.edu Wrote:
> I believe that while free software is a very good thing, the "free
> software or no software" mentality inhibits the adoption

> of Linux on the desktop.There is not ""free software or no software" *mentality*, only "free
software or no software" *principle*. And as with any other principle,
it is worth fighting for.

The only adoption that this principle inhibits are on desktops own by
people who are only interested in GNU/Linux for the free ride and not
about freedom or liberty.

--
Buffalo Soldier