Colony CD 2

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 10 17:46:32 CDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 12:12:35AM +0200, The Saltydog wrote:
> On 9/10/05, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Are ipw2100 drivers not yet in breezy? I have just upgrade my IBM
> > > Thinkpad X31 to breezy, and eth0 (wireless) is no more working. I had
> > > to switch back to kernel 2.6.10-5-686 to have wireless working.
> >
> > The ipw2100 driver has been in the default kernel since Ubuntu 4.10.
>
> If you read the message I have quoted, it says that there is no
> ipw2100 for linux-2.6.12 (it was july 1st), I have upgraded to breezy
> now, and my laptop has lost its wireless capability. To let it work, I
> need to boot breezy with old kernel 2.6.10..

That sentence is misleading; it refers to the linux-restricted-modules
package, which contains drivers which are not open source.  ipw2100 and
ipw2200 are open source drivers and are integrated into the base kernel
package along with their firmware (this has always been the case).

If you are having a problem with your wireless device using a 2.6.12 kernel
from Ubuntu, it is not that the driver is missing.

--
 - mdz