Ubuntu for Small Business

Jay Camp jayc at CLEMSON.EDU
Fri Sep 9 21:43:25 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 22:28 -0400, John Richard Moser wrote:
>  - Where do you get a barcode scanner?

I figured any standard one would work... doesn't it just act like a
keyboard, entering the text it reads?  I've never used one under Linux.

>  - Can you integrate the user/group/etc structure from BhPOS with phpBB
> and gForge?

I'm not sure why a small business would want gForge unless they were
developing software.  I used gForge briefly but wasn't impressed at all.
I'd hope there's something better out there to handle projects than
gForge.

The only real way these different projects can integrate is if they can
utilize LDAP.  As far as I know, BHPOS doesn't.  I guess you could
always write scripts to synchronize everything... but LDAP would be the
way to go here.

> It's too bad you can't just rig it all up to a RADIUS server.
> Jabber/SILC, BananaHeadPOS, gForge, phpBB. . . .

RADIUS (Remote Authentication Dial In User Service)?  LDAP is really the
natural choice for authenticating users, storing groups, etc.