Ubuntu for Small Business

Jay Camp jayc at CLEMSON.EDU
Fri Sep 9 20:44:01 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 12:56 -0400, John Richard Moser wrote:
>  - POS system (there's 500,000 of them on Sourceforge, are any of them
>    any good?)
>  - Inventory (possibly in the POS)
>  - Service tracker (possibly part of the POS)
>  - Customer databasing to look up your old receipts based on your name,
>    address, CCN, etc. (possibly in the POS)

I went through SourceForge looking for a POS program for my mom and
aunt, opening a small business.  In no uncertain terms I will tell
you--they all suck.

However, I did find (and not on SF) what seems to be a very good
solution:

http://www.bananapos.com

Supports most or all the things you mention above (as far as I can tell)
among many others.  I've just played with it a little bit because it's
still in beta but I think a final 2.0 release is planned soon.