SiS Multimedia, no volume control, no speaker output

Carey O'Shea carey at internode.on.net
Fri Sep 9 02:10:18 CDT 2005

I am unable to control my volume with the "Master" volume with my AC97
soundcard. It's because it is reversed with the headphone level. This
makes the drop-down volume changer in Gnome (a critical part of a
desktop) not work at all.

To fix this, I added ac97_quirk=1 in my aliases for my sound module
(snd_intel8x0). It fixed it and the Master volume now works as expected.
Shouldn't this be done automatically?

Also another problem -- no laptop speaker output, 100% silent. Headphone
works fine. To fix this I had to untick "external amplifier", then the
speakers will work. Shouldn't this also be auto configured or is there
reasons not to do it? (Yes I am unplugging the headphone when doing
these tests:)

I have noted some other distros (eg SuSE IIRC) do these things
out-of-the-box.

Here is the output of `lspci -vv` of my sound card:

0000:00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
[SiS] Sound Controller (rev a0)
        Subsystem: Rioworks: Unknown device 2038
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-