Further usplash development

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 4 12:53:47 CDT 2005

Jeff Waugh wrote:

>The Windows XP bootsplashes are dithered, and look great. Dithering at that
>colour resolution is a reality. Do note that the current testing image uses
>only 13 colours for the logo and reflection (a mistake that can be fixed).
>It could use up to 15 colours (because the main image does not make use of
>the red failure colour).

Yes, another two colours might help, esp. if you can bring them into a
tighter range.

I'd also suggest you not even use the red for the failure message. I
think the standard messages are a bit too bright, esp. when the font is
a bit rough at that resolution. I would write the '<service> ... ok' in
a darker brown and then the '<service> ... failed' in a lighter tan.
It's important that it's noticeable, but it needn't be in super-scary
bright red.

- Henrik