VMware does not work on Breezy. Big problem for me!

Matt Galvin matt.t.galvin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 16:47:11 CDT 2005

Hey all,

I am in the mist of getting Breezy installed on 70+ corporate laptops
where Breezy would get a great deal of exposure all across the US. My
one issue is that VMware is required ATM and it does not work on
Breezy.

First vmware would not compile b/c the kernel is built with gcc3.4 and
vmware was trying to build with gcc4. OK, so I forced it(export
CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.4) to build with gcc3.4 but the network modules fail
to load. Then when I try to run vmware it just hangs. I then get hal
errors and I have to start killing things.

I have been able to get everything I need running on Hoary, but since
these laptops will be rolling out over the next month I would like to
try and target everything for use with Breezy if at all possible.

Has anyone else been able to get it working?

Is there anything we can do to try and get VMware to run on Breezy in
some way, or do I just have to wait until the vmware guys release a
version that works. In which case I would have to just stick with
Hoary.

Here is the relevant build output:

--- snip ---
Building the vmnet module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.12-8-686-smp/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD
SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-8-686-smp'
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/driver.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/hub.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/userif.o
/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/userif.c: In function `VNetUserIfMapUint32Ptr':
/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/userif.c:152: warning: `verify_area' is
deprecated (declared at include/asm/uaccess.h:105)
/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/userif.c:153: warning: `verify_area' is
deprecated (declared at include/asm/uaccess.h:105)
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/netif.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/bridge.o
/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/bridge.c: In function `VNetBridgeUp':
/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/bridge.c:716: warning: passing arg 3 of
`sk_alloc' makes pointer from integer without a cast
/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/bridge.c:716: warning: passing arg 4 of
`sk_alloc' makes integer from pointer without a cast
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/procfs.o
  LD [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.o
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST
Warning: could not open /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/includeCheck.h:
Invalid argument
  CC      /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.mod.o
  LD [M]  /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-8-686-smp'
cp -f vmnet.ko ./../vmnet.o
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
The module loads perfectly in the running kernel.

Starting VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor                                             done
   Virtual ethernet                                                    done
   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                                  failed
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background)                    done
   NAT service on /dev/vmnet8                                          done
--- snip ---

After that trying to run any vmare command just hangs.

Thanks a million in advance,

Matt

P.S. - Sorry for the cross post.