Customization considerd harmefull (was Re: planet gnome comment)

Till Varoquaux till.varoquaux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 04:53:06 CDT 2005

Another interesting point-of-view is that customisation can be considered
harmefull.
Let me explain this point of view (to which I don't fully agree):
My brother has a very tweaked interface (Fvwm2 scripted his own way down to
the very core). I guess I can be considered as an advanced linux user (I
understand roughly most of the mechanisme behind the distro specific glue
and have already made my own bootable cd from scratch). I'm no expert but
get along fine in the shell... However I cannot use my brother's computer at
all.

Extreme customisation brings:
_Lack of consistency. You have to tweak every single app to behave the way
you want them to...
_Lack of adaptability to other computers. You become so used to your own way
of using your computer that you can't use other computers (I'm using cua in
emacs and hell, I can't even cut'n paste on other peoples's emacs)
_Waist of time when reinstalling: It takes weeks to have everything back the
way your used to.
_Unfriendliness for newbies: If every single computer under Linux they use
behaves differently they're never going to get familliar with the
interaction.

I believe sensible defaults should be thought to accomodate the wider range
of users. Everyone from beginner to advanced hackers should be satisfied.
The system also needs to be as consistent as possible so users devellop
reflexes. As a last resort customisation should be easy. But I beleive that
an in-your face pop-up at the start of the first session is very wrong.
If you really want one it should more be like a tour of the system (if you
want to do this the standard way to do it is this. If you're pissed by the
way it is handled you can change it in that menu.).

Emacs is the very example of a tweakable application. The defaults now don't
make any sens (but they have to be kept becaus e they made sens some 20
years ago and emacs should stay consistent with older releases) but the can
be changed. Changing them requires editting hidden files and sometimes doing
some lips magic to tie all your mods together. As a result just about
everyone in my class used emacs (It has a great mod for caml editting) but
profoundly hatted it... Mine was tweaked to behave mire like other apps but
I had waisted much time getting it prepped up and I couldn't get along on
other accounts.

Till (who thinks ubuntu does a great job taking away all this pesky jobs
from the users but giving him the freedom to chosse if he wants to).

P.S.: This can also be seen on a distro point of view: When you use packages
they have already been compilled using specific libraries flags etc... If
you want customisation go for gentoo or even Linux From Scratch.