Sivan Green sivan at piware.de
Wed Oct 26 16:37:32 CDT 2005

On 21:01, Sun 23 Oct 05, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Would you like to:
>
>  * Install the registered, supported Firefox 1.5b2 package from
>    ubuntu-backports, or
>
>  * Install the Firefox 1.5b2 .deb you just downloaded, which cannot be
>    verified to come from a trusted source, at your own risk
>
> I think most users would opt for the former.  Of course, this could change
> when the version numbers are not identical.

We have the privilege of having a trusted, signed and protected central repository
and we should promote it and encourage people to use it, even in the cost of staying with an "old" version.
Installing software that way should be reserved for packages we cannot provide through the repository. The closest
use case I currently see, is installing third party software from "trusted" vendors.

>From a support POV , we should state even stronger,
that packages installed that way cannot be held for any
quality, not even by the community, unless explicity
commited. In that regard, I guess that would make them lower
in the food chain then even universe packages.

Sivan