Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Mon Oct 24 16:11:38 CDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 03:47:38PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 04:41:08PM +0200, Thomas Schneller wrote:
> > Colin Watson wrote:
> > > the intent is that you should log in as 'oem'
> >
> > How do I do that?
>
> At the gdm login prompt, type 'oem' in the username field, and use the
> password you entered in the first stage of the installation.

From my experience (I've been playing with the OEM mode in preparation
for an install day[1]) it works nicely except for a couple of things:

1) This is a wishlist one :-) You have to track down and alter the
defaults files yourself, it'd be really handy if there was some
semi-automatic way of altering the common things like wallpaper, Firefox
start page etc, like maybe copying them from the oem users settings on
logout.

2) Probably also a wishlist item - if on reboot the user picks a
non-English language it sets the option OK, but doesn't do anything
about installing any language packs. This leaves the user with a system
that thinks it's (say) French, but actually does almost everything in
English.

My current plan is to log in as 'oem', install a package with the new
wallpaper etc, then untar a file in / that will overwrite the default
settings files with the altered ones.

Ewan

[1] <http://www.york.lug.org.uk/installday/>