John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Mon Oct 24 15:23:57 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 10:00 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 02:35:54PM -0700, George Farris wrote:
> > Having /home permissions be other than 0700 is a no no IMHO.  It always
> > has been on UNIX systems.
>
> No, it really hasn't! The ability for users to conveniently share files
> has always come first in Unix.

I've seen setups where all users shares a common default group "users".
In this environment I can see your argument that g+rx or even g+rwx is
relevant.

Having o+rwx is another matter. It means that ANY process on the system
has full access to each users files. That means that one users buggy php
app could be a backdoor to your private data, published to the world.

Regards,
John