Deb Installer for Dapper.

John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Sun Oct 23 21:54:56 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 21:49 -0400, Evan Dandrea wrote:
> I think it is a big deal.  This is an area where we're able to be
> miles ahead of the proprietary software world.  We can guarantee much
> better security and protection from the kind of nonsense that Windows
> users currently face by keeping the package system close to the way
> it's currently configured.

I have had to explain, a large number of times, to each person I gave an
Ubuntu disc to, who previously used Windows, that: "You don't download
and install, you use Synaptic!"... "syn-what?"

A perfect solution for this class of users would be a nice little nag
screen that is activated when you doubble click a .deb .rpm or .tar.gz.

Something along these lines:

"Little HOWTO explaining the correct way to install stuff."
[I know this, just unpack the damn file and never till me this again!]
[Cancel]

Regards,
John