Deb Installer for Dapper.

Evan Dandrea xevand at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 11:18:15 CDT 2005

I think this is the wrong idea. If in a future version of Ubuntu I can click
on any .deb on the web and get prompted to install it, we'll have every
problem with spyware that Microsoft currently faces. APT is a great solution
to the security problems in software management. If you want to see a piece
of software in Ubuntu, put it in Universe. This way, if the software turns
out to be spyware, the MOTUs can always remove it. If you want to see
proprietary software easily accessible in Ubuntu then I'd suggest using
Multiverse or creating some other moderated repository.

Even if Ubuntu goes the somewhat safer than auto-installing approach that
you mention of saving to the desktop first, I hope that the developers
consider the security implications of it.

Thanks