John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Fri Oct 21 06:35:09 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 13:18 +0200, Ivan Krstic wrote:
> John Nilsson wrote:
> > Even so, the implications of having to explicitly allow access to stuff
> > you want to share is far less than the implications of unknowingly
> > sharing stuff you thought was safe...
>
> Programs that deal with private data (e.g. mail) are usually good about
> using proper permissions. On a desktop system, other people who have
> accounts are usually trusted individuals, and a policy of "open unless
> explicitly made otherwise" is, I think, the only sensible one.

The keywords being: "programs" and "usually". I don't agree that it's
good to justify lack of security by relying on well behaved users and
the statistical track record of programs.

Users that deal with private data (e.g. mail) are usually not thinking
of the possible security implications of their actions... I think. For
example downloaded files usually ends up on the desktop.

I just think that a persons "/home" should be a safe and _private_
place.

Regards,
John