Edward H. Trager ehtrager at umich.edu
Tue Oct 18 10:33:53 CDT 2005

> >Finally thanks for all the great work you all have been doing so far.
> >Some of us here like to think of Ubuntu as "the African distro" and we'd
> >like to see it have more African contributors.
> >

> Darn straight!

Just curious:

 1. What African language translations are already available, or being worked
    on for Ubuntu or for Gnome in general?

 2. If I remember correctly, Ubuntu already includes the Arabeyes.org Arabic fonts which would
    be useful in many North African countries.  Does Ubuntu include the
    Ethiopian / Amharic fonts ?

    See: http://www.abyssiniacybergateway.net/fidel/unicode/ for Ethiopian fonts.

 3. Does Ubuntu include the Hapax Berbère font for the Tifinagh script used
    to write the Berber languages of North Africa?

    See: http://www.hapax.qc.ca/polices/   for a Tifinagh font.
         http://hapax.qc.ca/pdf/Hapax%20Berb%E8re.pdf

 4. Another African script, N'Ko, will be included in Unicode 5.0.  Not sure
    when Unicode 5.0 is due out.  If Ubuntu wanted to pay for it, I think Mr. Andries
    of Hapax might be persuaded to create an Open Source N'Ko font.  Creating
    the glyphs is straightforward: but note that N'Ko is an RTL script with
    joining behaviour similar to Arabic, so an OpenType font with the proper
    GSUB tables would be required.  So some work would be involved, and I
    know that Andries is fairly busy, but I think he actually has done
    some draft N'Ko font work.

The Hapax site may also have keyboards for Tifinagh and N'Ko (maybe for Windoze only?),
I'm not sure.

Assembling as much African localization material ( starting with fonts, keyboard layouts,
locales, etc.) will do much to make Ubuntu an "African" distribution, as well as furthering
the project's aim to be a distribution for all of humanity.

 - Ed Trager
   Maintainer of http://eyegene.ophthy.med.umich.edu/unicode/fontguide/