Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at canonical.com
Tue Oct 18 00:01:37 CDT 2005

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

>Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>

>Unfortunatly expressing this dependency is extremely complex.
>Assuming we really want to do so, it will kill the option for users to use
>custom kernels on their machines.
>While we clearly don't support that enviroment, i still use that option myself
>to test patches and bug fixes.. and having to see ubuntu-desktop+ removed
>from my machine for a test, can be annoying.
>I see the same happening on user machines.. that won't be good.

Forgot to add that it is complex to express, it is easy to workaround,
and cannot ensure that the user is running the kernel is supposed to.

Even if ubuntu-desktop pulls in 2.6.14, the user can still install and
run .12.
There is no way to avoid that because the dependcy is satisfied, kernels
can be installed in parallel (and that's a good thing) but you have no
control
to what kernel the user is booting into.

Fabio