Release management thoughts for Dapper Drake

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Oct 17 18:41:52 CDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 12:07:18AM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

> Dude, don't knock your own fine efforts off the little pedestal they are
> on called "Breezy".

As far as X goes, I'd entirely agree with Daniel. The tree that we're
working on is going to be effectively unmaintained in the near future,
and there's going to be a lot of work done over the next 6 months.
For added amusement, "everyone" knows that Dapper is going to release
with 7.0. Moving to the modular tree doesn't cost us much in terms of
code (we're *already* pretty close to 6.9 in everything that matters),
but improves long-term maintainability a great deal.

To be honest, giving the users the possibility of compiling single
drivers is going to be pretty important for a 3-year support commitment.
Woody ended up basically uninstallable on any hardware you could buy due
to X issues. It would be preferable to avoid leaving Dapper in such a
corner.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org