Release management thoughts for Dapper Drake

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 17 18:41:03 CDT 2005

<quote who="Mark Shuttleworth">

> Stephan Hermann wrote:
>
> >"promise" should state out clearly, that the support only complies to the
> >features promised for e.g. gnome 2.14.x
>
> Hmm... Jeff, others, would you think users expect to see updates to Dapper
> to include further Gnome point releases? Like 2.14.2, 2.14.3 etc, should
> those appear on the scene? Seems like the sorts of things Gnome would put
> in such releases are exactly the sorts of things we would want to go into
> Dapper. Thoughts?

The only 2.14 point release scheduled at this stage is 2.14.1 on April 12th.

  http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointThirteen

You can get some idea of GNOME 2.14.2 and 2.14.3 from the scheduling of the
2.12 point releases (week 12 and 22 respectively). It's worth taking into
account that when 2.14.0 ships, the Hard Code freeze stops, so maintainers
are relatively free to push fixes and Other Changes (though they can't make
UI or string changes).

Basically, we'd have to keenly review updates such as this before putting
them in dapper-updates, and remember that it'll take up some of Sebastien or
Daniel's time during the dapper+1 release process.

- Jeff

--
Ubuntu USA & Europe Tour: Oct-Nov 2005            http://wiki.ubuntu.com/3BT

      "The FFF policy: File a bug, Fix it, or F*ck off." - pwhysall on
                              gnomedesktop.org