Release management thoughts for Dapper Drake

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Mon Oct 17 18:02:33 CDT 2005

Ante Karamatic wrote:

>What I wanted to say is that we could wait for 6 months after Dapper is
>released and call Dapper enterprise ready in October, 2006. Then,
>provide support for 5 years for servers and 2.5 years for desktops (we
>would support desktop from April to October 2006, resulting in 2.5 years
>more for desktop).

There is certainly some merit in this, and under different circumstances
I think it may make sense. Given commercial demand for this, it would be
easy to continue to polish any given release, and make point releases
later. But the matrix of versions then starts to grow rapidly, so that's
only something we can consider later, if people start to demand it.

So, as jdub said, for Dapper we need to focus our minds on the best
strategy to deliver a long-term-supportable release first time round, in
April 2006.

I will post an updated proposal in a few hours, building on the ideas in
this thread that I think are most likely to deliver a dapper drake we
can be proud of.