Release management thoughts for Dapper Drake

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 17 00:05:06 CDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 11:29:53PM -0500, Travis Watkins wrote:
> On 10/15/05, Daniel Stone <daniel.stone at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Please stop using X.Org as an example of something that would be good
> > to freeze.
>
> Because what we have now isn't nearly as bug-free as 7.0 is/will be?
> Just wondering.

We're going to need to do this thing for three years.  I know which I'd
prefer out of:
    * 7.0 final, with a few patches and tweaks, almost all either from
      upstream, or subsequently committed upstream, or
    * libs from somewhere between 6.8 and 6.9/7.0 RC0 (random CVS),
      proto a mixture of the same and more recent CVS updates, Mesa
      from 6.3.2 (6.4.x will be in 7.0), and the server and drivers
      from 6.8.2, patched to hell to build with the newer proto and
      libs, as well to fix a ton of bugs.