Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat Oct 15 23:04:40 CDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 05:40:29PM -0700, George Farris wrote:
> Something that would be really great for Dapper would be the ability for
> the update notifier to communicate to other servers and receive update
> notifications from them.
>
> That way if you had a couple of Dapper servers and a Dapper+1
> workstation you could receive notifications from the servers that there
> are updates ready.

Let me just reach into my "trivial shell scripts" repository...

----8<----
#!/bin/sh -e

ADMIN=george at gmsys.com

COUNT=$(apt-get -qq -s upgrade | grep ^Inst | wc -l)

if [ "$COUNT" -gt "0" ]; then
        echo | mail -s "$(hostname): $COUNT Ubuntu updates available" $ADMIN
fi

Shell script.  It's a lovely thing.

- Matt

--
A byte walks into a bar and orders a pint. Bartender asks him "What's
wrong?" The byte says "Parity error." Bartender nods and says "Yeah, I